Saturday, August 05, 2006

And again I am here...

It's really beginning to seem like every post starts out with "Finally home..." Total crap if you ask me! But again, it is true. We pulled in late last night, 2100, and then I had to turn around and stand duty today. So tomorrow morning I will finally get to spend a day at home. And do I need the rest! A lot happened this past week. Chief results came out. As I suspected this year was not my year. I am just too junior. Most of the guys on the list are one or two AS generations ahead of me. That just means I will be a better candidate next year! 12-15 years is average for my rate to make it, and I'm barely at 9! Tons of time. I'm just now learning how to be a first class!
Also exciting: for the first time in my Navy career I actually had a real GQ drill. It was because of a meduim sized lube oil leak - really more messy than actually dangerous, but let me tell you, when the alarm sounds for real your heart starts pounding! The ships crew performed fabulously, all was well, and yesterday we finally passed a major set of engineering drills! Maybe our schedule can now relax just a bit...? But not until about October. In a week we pull out for 30 + days to participate in some joint-country exercises. Then we may get to spend some time in port. I hope so. Jeeze Louise, we've spent the whole summer at sea! Could I have a day or two to catch my breath?
All in all, what I'm trying to say is that I'm tired. Yesterday on my way home, at 2145, after 5 days at sea working my ass off for what seemed like nothing, I actually said it. "F%#^@! this! I can't do this anymore! I'm getting out next year when my contract is up." Now did I really mean it?? Yes and no. I am tired. And frustrated, with my chain of command, with my ship, with the schedule, with doing meaningless busy-work and tryig to sell it as exciting every day to the 20 guys who work for me. I just want to throw in the towel. But then I remember how I do really love my job, when I get to do it, and I think that I don't want to let one bad command ruin that for me. I know I'm going to go ahead and reenlist. If only for 2 years. I'm almost half way now, and once I retire I won't ever have to work again! At least that's our plan, and so far it's going great! I just need to keep my chin up and my eye on the prize. Especially when I want to quit.
All right. I think that's enough for one night. In a minute or two the kids who went Mickey D's should be back with my crispy sammich. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to scrapbook...!

No comments: